Participants: Jean Abraham, Jeff Harris, Joanne Pike, Meg Pomerantz
Absent: Lisa Brosseau, Enid Chung Roemer
- Welcome– Jean welcomed the group.
- Action Items from our last call – Jean updated the group on the action items from last time.
- CDC ScoreCard –
- Jean noted that the CDC ScoreCard will be the focus of today’s discussion. She distributed an overview of the instrument. She noted that it is a good tool that is not well disseminated (listed on only 12 of 50 state health department website). Jeff explained that the CDC has invested a great deal of money on the ScoreCard, and he thinks that we could provide feedback to the CDC about the especially from the perspective of small and medium sized businesses. He has the following reservations about the tools with respect to small and medium size employers – 1) it doesn’t seem tailored well for small and medium employers and 2) small and medium employers are more likely to need technical assistance to complete the tool. Joanne agrees that completing the ScoreCard would take a fairly savvy individual who understands health issues. Jean spoke to her experiences with using a similar scorecard. The group agreed that the tool is comprehensive, but overwhelming. Jean also noted that ScoreCard is still paper and pen.
- Jean asked the group what we would like to do with the instrument. Will dissemination or support be the important element? Joanne sees the technical assistance piece as more important. Jeff noted that his group has found that small and medium employers do not have the leverage to negotiate health insurance packages with brokers. Jeff suggested a structured process of administering the instrument, reviewing the instrument, and obtaining feedback from the user via a structure interview. Jean clarified that this could be a research study using a group similar to chambers of commerce. Joanne also suggested some of their partners to recruit participants. Jean asked about funding. Jeff suggested that if we did this across our 6 centers, the project would be doable, although not immediately. Next steps would include developing a protocol and structured interview. We would like to measure and apply quantitative measures to our impression of the ScoreCard.
- Jean asked for timelines and whether the broker project or CDC ScoreCard would be a priority. The consensus is for the ScoreCard project to be in Year 2 or Year 3. Jean suggested that each member view the ScoreCard from the perspective of a small to medium sized employer for questions that are not particularly geared toward this group. Meg also pointed out that the other working groups are considering projects that would be cross network. Jeff suggested that each working group develop a one page outline that could be brought to the Steering Committee or the full group to prioritize. Meg will take this issue to Laura for further discussion this topic. Jean will draft a 2 pager and distribute a spreadsheet to guide a review of which questions are relevant for small/medium sized employers.
- Future Calls – Possible times: Thursday, June 18 available from 11am-4pm (Eastern). Meg will check the members who are not on the call and schedule the next meeting.
- Jean will draft a short description of the broker project, timeline, and how this group could help with this project.
- Jean will draft a 2 pager of the CDC Scorecard project.
- Jean will distribute a spreadsheet to guide a review of which questions are relevant for small/medium sized employers.
- Meg will check the members who are not on the call and schedule the next meeting.
- Members will review the CDC ScoreCard and complete the Excel spreadsheet that Jean created by June 12.